- Avoid the risk zone especially near junctions
- At traffic lights stay behind, or get well in front of the lorry, in the centre of the lane, where the driver can see you
- Make eye contact if possible. If you can see the driver, they can see you
- If in doubt, stay behind the lorry – especially as you approach junctions – until you are sure it is safe to pass it…
- On narrower roads ride a door’s width from parked cars and prevent unsafe overtaking by keeping in the centre of your lane until it is safe for a vehicle behind to pass you.
- Use your lights after dark – white at the front and red at the rear
More actions for safe cycling around lorries
TfL fund free cycle lessons tailored to your individual abilities and goals. Even the most experienced cyclists often learn something new. Improve your techniques for dealing with complex junctions and heavy traffic, including lorries.
As an LCC member you’ll help improve cycling across the whole city, in every borough, for everyone. Join today and support work to end lorry danger. Enjoy a great package of cycling benefits, including free third-party insurance and discounts in more than 100 London bike shops.
LCC's tips for safe cycling in London around all other road users.